Anon Loli <anonl...@autistici.org> writes:

> (my last email on this thread, about datetime "version check" is needed to
> understand the meaning of this)
> or make(1) can handle this when say building /usr/src, it can check datetime
> of
> the source files (.c, .h), and then the datetime of object files (.o).. now
> there might be a confusion between CVS repository datetime and local host
> time, so perhaps convert everything to UTC unixtime, and perhaps CVS should
> handle the differential between CVS and local datetime (if needed at all)
>
> And voila, that should handle object files so that they can't get outdated.

it is basically what make(1) program tries to do. but it doesn't cover
100% cases. it works for files headers in /usr/include, but it will not
work for changes in the compiler (or in programs used by the compiler).

following all the dependency chain is a hard problem when considering
the OS level. in such cases, a full rebuild is need.

if you build things in /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/GENERIC.MP, make
will properly build only what needs to be rebuild to get a new kernel
with your changes. but the 'make config' stage will sometimes told you
to run a 'make clean'.

Regards.
--
Sebastien Marie