Dear friends

OpenBSD 7.5: In my vi, German umlauts (diaeresis) are displayed as
follows:
Ä: \xc3\x84
ä: \xc3\xa4
Ö: \xc3\x96
ö: \xc3\xb6
Ü: \xc3\x9c
ü: \xc3\xbc

These strings appear to consist of 2 character groups, as pressing `x`
2 times deletes the complete string.

In man vi(1), I couldn't find anything concerning the file encoding,
and the vi command `:set all` didn't give me any hints.

I log into cwm via xenodm and have the line
`export LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"` in the `~/.xsession` file, as
suggested in `https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#locales`.

The umlauts are displayed correctly in xterm.

As I'd rather not switch to vim, I'd be very grateful for any tips
concerning the display of umlauts in vi.

My reason for preferring sticking to vi:
"Vim is a huge security hole due to all of the unvetted and often
times unnecessary plugins. The fact is that vi is plain better and
will help you learn how to deal with problems using command line
tools."
(https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/comments/ealnzl/vi_vs_vim/)

Many thanks and best regards

Rolf