On Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 06:36:46PM +0200, prx wrote:

> Le 9 juillet 2024 18:02:31 GMT+02:00, Anon Loli <anonl...@autistici.org> a
> écrit :
> >On Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 12:38:02PM +0200, rfab...@mhsmail.ch wrote:
> >> Dear Страхиња Радић,
> >> dear Jan,
> >> dear Christian
> >>
> >> Thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful answers!
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> Yes, I know Vim from Arch Linux. But for OpenBSD, I'd like to try to
> >> stick to the base install as close as possible.
> >>
> >> ---

> >> Thanks for confirming, Jan!
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> I have just installed nvi, and the umlauts are displayed correctly.
> >> Many thanks for this tip!
> >>
> >> ---
> >> I'm very grateful for the help misc@openbsd.org offers. A big thank
> >> you to all the list contributors - and of course to all the contributors
> >> and committers of OpenBSD itself. My family and I are very happy
> >> to be able to use it for our daily home office work.
> >>
> >> Best regards
> >>
> >> Rolf
> >>

> >Once upon a time I decided to take a look at Vim source code
> >I did a wc -l, and it gave me like 700000 LOC of *.c and *.h files like what
> >the fuck?
> >Do you know how much 700k of SLOC is?
> >Terry Davis made a reasonably good OS in just 100k of SLOC!
> >Very easy to hide malicious stuff like the backdoor that was in xz!
> >
> >That's why I use vi, and am working on my own text editor.. I don't know if
> >it'll ever be good, but I'm aiming for Vi-like simplicity, suckless code base
> >and Vim-like features (only most useful ones, the rest would be in a
> >patch-form, like suckless.org has)
> >Also when I said "am working", it's more like "was working and will work on
> >it
> >again", but I have a problem right now which has paused my programming
> >life...
> >I'm working on it
> >If you're interested, perhaps one day you'll want to test it out..
> >
> >I'm not sure about the license thought... as I despise licenses and even
> >having
> >a copyleft license like CC is getting on my nerves, software should be free,
> >and non-personal information should be free, too, without any IP or a
> >requirement for a file "LICENSE".. those are just my 2 cents..
> >It's a little more complicated than that, let's just say that I don't want
> >being required to specify a LICENSE file... I'm just curious about the
> >consequences, would you use a open source peace of software that in the
> >README
> >says "you can use it for whatever you want with no strings attached, and
> >that's
> >about it."?
> >
> >I'm probably rambling needlessly again, that's why none care about what I say
> >

> Maybe look at neatvi:
> => https://github.com/aligrudi/neatvi
>
> Even if I still prefer nvi and its soft wrapping.

Oh, wow!
That looks hella impressive!
My text editor which is ALMOST functional (you can view and go up/down, but not
edit files yet, text is in buffer), and is like 600 SLOC, where Neatvi is 8000
SLOC...
But my editor doesn't have proper UTF-8 support, highlighting, any real
advanced functions, right-left support or those things found in kmap.h,
DIGRAPHS.
OK, I'm kindof lying when I say it has no highlighting, the cursor is
highlighted, and if we're talking escape sequences, that part should be easy
and like 50SLOC, depending on language and what-not
And the developer of Neatvi seems to be much more advanced than myself, in C.

I'm definitely giving Neatvi a try, after checking out it's source code thank
you, very much!
I still think that I'll make my own thing, I already learnt a whole lot, like
techinques for managing arrays/buffers by which I mean memory, which can be
useful like everywhere

I think that ANY project can be beneficial for the skill/experience
Like I never worked with hexidecimal or whatever 0x7f is

>>> actually checking out the source code mid-email
Dude advanced poll(2) code? Fuck yeah!
It's a little sad that by default C PL doesn't highlight for (u)int8-64.. but
for Go it does that lol..

Also I'm not sure how safe it is when it comes to handling escape sequences,
but I bet that the developer thought of that, he seems advanced
I also realize that there's a ton of string manipulation, and the program
manages command queries and stuff, it could easily somehow have a command that
runs something malicious
Honestly I don't even know what I'm looking for... I doubt it'd do a `rm -Rf
~/*` lol and for networking access, and perhaps grep for "ssh", what should I
look for, mostly #includes(for networking)?

I want to find or create a guide for reviewing potentially malicious source
code...

It also looks like some of security pull requests haven't been approved/issues
resolved..
... speaking of which:
>>>ex.c(ex.o:(ec_make)): warning: sprintf() is often misused, please use
snprintf()
>>>ex.c(ex.o:(ec_set)): warning: strcpy() is almost always misused, please use
strlcpy()
>>>reg.c(reg.o:(reg_putraw)): warning: strcat() is almost always misused, please
use strlcat()

The dwchars, zwchars and bchars arrays look very suspicious, could be injected
into a command and ran, who knows what it is.. it's obfuscated and I don't like
sketchy shit like that ._.

Neatvi also uses a switch statement in vi.c for handling input and calling
functions, I do the same in my editor, it's the most enjoyable part, because
that code of block feels just so powerful and simple hahaha
Programming can be an art, poetry even

Also no idea if it uses Vi(1) under the hood

Damn, it has been a long time since I've seen colors in a text editor! HAHAHAHA
I have to get used to it now, glad that you recommended it!

It's funny reading Neatvi source code using Neatvi :)..
just as I used my own version control system to keep track of my version
control system rofl
Can't wait to use my text editor to work on my text editor
Turing complete, yes?