On 2024-07-22, Jan Stary <h...@stare.cz> wrote:
> I am trying to boot current/amd64 on this HP laptop from  USB stick.
>
> Disabling the "secure boot" in BIOS, so that something else
> than the preinstalled windows is even allowed to boot,
> and choosing USB Flash Disk as the boot source,
> I see the usual
>
>       Using drive 0, partition 3
>
> etc, up to
>
>       boot>
>
> There, the rotating slash either stops and nothing else happens,
> or the machine reboots after the first number in
>
>       booting hd0a:/bsd 12345678 + [reboot]
>
> This happens with both bsd and bsd.rd.
>
> The USB stick holds a full current/amd64 installation
> which I regularly boot on various amd64 machines,
> so I don;t suppose that is the problem.
>
> Any clues please?

Some things you could perhaps try -

- does a 7.5 kernel boot? 7.4? (7.3, [..]?)
- how about trying an older bootloader (extract usr/share/mdec
files from old baseXX.tgz and installboot)
- "machine mem" output might be useful to someone looking at this

HP machines are often a bit awkward, have been for many years.