On 3/24/06, Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> These are not people who want to give.  They want to give
> without giving.  They simply want to focus their money into
> being a writeoff, which means that our taxation systems
> increasingly place more and more of a burden on individuals,
> and less of a burden on companies.

Corporations are not people,  a corporation exists to "maximize
shareholder value", thus writeoffs.

As an employee of a corporation, my options for directing funding
towards OpenBSD are limited -- I can't ask finance write a check for a
pseudorandom dollar amount to "Theo De Raadt".

My department has budgets for hardware, software, support, salary,
consulting, but no category for "I just want to give".

We can (and do) have the company purchase one copy of each release CD set.
I might be able to convince them to go for Jason Dixon's offer (if
it's still valid), though it might need a little polishing to be
buzzword-compliant.

> They are not taxed -- there is no tax on a gift.

And with gifts to a 501(c)(3). my employer will match $2 for every $1
donated, up to $500.  A lot of "free" money is being left on the table
right there.

OTOH, were I to found a 501(c)(3) "OpenBSD Foundation", the strict
"conflict of interest" policy would almost certainly prohibit me from
soliciting any donations from my employer.

Kevin