I am not sure that this is a simple question, but what's the rules if any, or guide line someone can go under to replace files and code with BSD type in a project for example.

I need some help understanding what's right and what's wrong and where the line is if any and what's proper and what's not.

Let say that you have a GNU project and that you need to keep full compatibility with the system calls, in/out, same function names and in some cases structure, but the way the process is done is different.

At what point is it correct and possible to ripe a GNU file and replace it with a BSD file if possible.

Can that be done?

What about if a file only have include files left in it, but is still under a GNU license. I guess it can't be replace right?

Example would:

 /* ====================================================================
 * license text
 * bla bla bla
 *
 */

#include "shit.h"

and shit.h is a file from that project but the content of shit.h have changed or will changed.

Is that burn in for ever in it's life and the only way to do this would be to have a new file called newshit.h and then call it from ever everywhere shit.h was called from.

I hope my question make sense, I am trying to understand that process if that's even possible to understand it somewhat.

This is very confusing to me. Reading on the subject doesn't provide clear guideline someone could go by if any.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war however.

If that's where it might be going, don't answer.

I am just trying to understand the process and how it's getting done properly. I see on Google that some project were GNU and then got switch to BSD after some part that were include in the original project were replace by other BSD version. So, no more GNU was there, so it didn't apply anymore.

Google give me huge results on the subject, but so far, nothing clean that I can understand properly. SO, I guess it's not an easy question.

I hope I am not offending anyone asking that question!

Thanks

Daniel