My bad, I had a nonexistent -v flag set on nfsd
making it fail to start. Removing the flag and rebooting
with the below line in the vm's fstab (added nolock)
fixed the issue !

On to install jellyfin.

On 2026-10-06 05:01, Sylvain Saboua wrote:
On 2026-10-05 23:39, Jon Fineman wrote:
Sylvain Saboua <[email protected]> writes:

On 2026-10-05 22:08, Mike Larkin wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2026 at 10:02:11PM +0000, Sylvain Saboua wrote:
I am in the process of setting up a Docker container for
Jellyfin in an Alpine Linux virtual machine.

I am stuck at trying to mount the /var/www/media/.jellyfin
folder from the OpenBSD host (srv) in the Alpine virtual
machine (media):

media:~# rc-service nfsmount start
 * Starting NFS sm-notify ...
 [ ok ]
 * Mounting NFS filesystems ...
mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not
supported for
/home/media/jellyfin
mount: mounting 100.64.1.2:/var/www/media/.jellyfin on
/home/media/jellyfin
failed: Not supported
 [ !! ]
 * ERROR: nfsmount failed to start
media:~#

Here is my configuration:

srv$ cat /etc/exports
/var/www/media -maproot=media -network=10.0.0 -mask=255.255.255.0
/var/www/media/.jellyfin -maproot=media -network=100.64.1
-mask=255.255.255.0

fstab line in the Alpine virtual machine:
100.64.1.2:/var/www/media/.jellyfin /home/media/jellyfin nfs
rw,_netdev,vers=3 0 0

Any clue ?

PS these are the tutorials I am following:
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq16.html
https://www.tumfatig.net/2022/running-docker-host-openbsd-vmd/
https://jellyfin.org/docs/general/installation/container/?method=docker-cli
--
Sylvain Saboua
looking for a PDP-11


i do something similar with a local jellyfin vm on vmm (on ubuntu not
alpine
but it probably shouldnt matter).

/etc/fstab on vm:
server:/Media   /Media          nfs     soft,intr,tcp   0 1

/etc/exports on the host looks like yours.

Thanks. That's strange, I've tried various options but the
same error remains. It seemms to be related to a different
NFS version on the client vs the server ? That's why I use
vers=3, but changing it to 2 or 4 doesn't help.

PS is it normal to have a fs_passno field of 1 for a network
share ? In your fstab.

Cheers
--
Sylvain Saboua
looking for a PDP-11


I had to add nolock,vers=3

Are you on Alpine on the vm ?
I just added the nolock option to the vm, nothing changes ...
Here's my current fstab line:
100.64.1.2:/var/www/media/.jellyfin /home/media/jellyfin nfs rw,_netdev,nolock,vers=3,soft,intr 0 1

I've tried with SFTP / sshfs-fuse instead.
Weird thing is that SSHFS mounting of  the main repertory
/var/www/media returns success but displays an empty folder.

Perhaps because I need to follow the FAQ again to have the
vm's network in bridge mode.

Cheers

--
Sylvain Saboua

Reply via email to