On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:03:58PM +0200, Piotrek Kapczuk wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I have a new server to deploy and I don't want to wait unlit official
>   release. So I'd like to compile 3.9 stable from source and I've faced a
>   problem.
>
>   I have a machine which runs 3.8-stable
>   I've wiped out /usr/src
>   then, as http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html says I did

No, you completely ignored the "Install or upgrade to closest available
binary" step.  You can't do that.

If you had started from a 3.9-beta, you might have got lucky.  But
jumping from 3.8 to 3.9 is NOT an easy process, and is completely
unsupported.  This looks like it will be a particularly difficult
jump to make this release (though, as I recall, that's been true for
a LOT of releases lately).  You can't just download a new release's
source and build on an old release.

Further, what happens if there is a critical security issue in 3.9-rel
before 3.9 is officially released?  -stable commits do NOT get made
until 3.9 is official (hint: sendmail bug).

Your choices:
1) Start with 3.8, and upgrade to 3.9 later (actually, pretty easy).
2) start with 3.9-current, and then jump to 4.0-stable in about
seven months or so, when it becomes available.  This could be either
very easy or a pain in the butt, depending on how many additional
packages you end up installing after first install.

Nick.