Hi,

I have found the following works well, i have not run X from CF but suspect it will work - provided the flash disk has enough space to fit X
on it.

----------------------

For a 256Mb flash card

a - /           - 60m
d - /var        - 11m
e - /usr        - rest

---

Once installed reboot, install any required pkgs (rsync being one) and edit fstab:

Change from:
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs rw,nodev 1 2

To:
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs ro,nodev 1 2

---

Setting up /mfs/var

Unless apache is required remove /var/www

Create:
/mfs/var

Rsync accross log files:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -vorpug /var/ /mfs/var

---

Setting up /mfs/dev

mkdir /mfs/dev
cp /dev/MAKEDEV /mfs/dev
cd /mfs/dev
./MAKEDEV all

---

Create ram disk for /var (47mb), /tmp (15 mb) and /dev (500K) by adding mfs mounts to fstab:
(note mb sizes are approx):

swap /var mfs rw,-s=102400,nodev,noatime,noexec,nosuid 0 0
swap /dev mfs rw,-s=2048,-i=128,nosuid 0 0
swap /tmp mfs rw,-s=32768,nodev,noatime,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Note for dev the inode number is increased to handle the number of device nodes.

So complete fstab:

/dev/wd0a / ffs ro 1 1
/dev/wd0e /usr ffs ro,nodev 1 2
#/dev/wd0d /var ffs rw,nodev,nosuid 1 2
swap /var mfs rw,-s=102400,nodev,noatime,noexec,nosuid 0 0
swap /dev mfs rw,-s=2048,-i=128,nosuid 0 0
swap /tmp mfs rw,-s=32768,nodev,noatime,noexec,nosuid 0 0

---

Now need to setup automatic population of mfs mounts on reboot in /etc/rc

comment out line number 202:
mount -uw /

under rm -f /fastboot (about line 203 on 3.9) add:

# Copy dev files before anything else
cp -Rp /mfs/dev/* /dev

comment out line 261 - this is required as /var is mounted twice otherwise:
mount /var >/dev/null 2>&1

and add below it:

printf "copying files to mfs ..."
/usr/local/bin/rsync -orpug /mfs/var/ /var
echo " done."