Peter Fraser wrote:
If you install a new 3.9 system, and enable X windows
(The only package I installed was emacs)

Create a new userid with ksh as its shell
and sign on though X.

~/.profile does not get executed

Nor does ~/.profile get executed then a
new xterm is created using the left click
menu in the background.

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/

I expect this related to my earlier messages
about .profile and ksh.

Got me, I see you have asked a lot of questions, often in the tone
of a remarkable discovery that most of us already knew about.  A
little time doing some research on your own will be far more
educational.  For that reason, I deleted the rest of the link above.
The answer to your quest..er..statement is very much in there.

Start reading.

Nick.