It was/is the case for me too ! :-(
The workaround I use is to increase buffer size to its maximum, i.e. 13MB,
with 50% to upper pre buffer.
It works quite nicely, but I feel it's a dirty workaround...

Nevertheless it allows me to play mp3 and ogg on my 700MHz Athlon with
384MB of RAM, even with cumulated/simultaneous :
_ high FTP loads (with vsftp in FTP mode, didn't tested with SFTP)
_ web browsing through Firefox (10 tabs)
_ Gaim 1.5
_ Xchat.
_ Bluefish
_ 3 xterms

But it keeps micro-freezing sometimes, and memory load is around 360MB
(of 384). :-|

<mylife>
I didn't complain as I was warned OBSD is quite "server oriented", It
was quite a challenge to use it for everyday desktops tasks.
The main problem I have is the VERY SLOW PAGE SCROLLING in web
pages... And I don't know how to fix it, if it's possible.
</mylife>