i> What's wrong with your example is that it doesn't do anything even
> resembling what he wants.  Sending a single echo request is not the
> same as sending echo requests for as long as it takes to get a
> response,
> and then exiting successfully.  He even gave you an example of how one
> would use this option, so you shouldn't be confused.

And what is wrong with your useless reply is the fact that I can easily
revise my alternative by enclosing in a simple shell loop and say a
"sorry" to the original sender but you guarantee to get the best moron
award by replying like this.

I appreciate your vulgar vocabulary.

Nickolay, sorry for the first bad reply.

Here's the revised alternative:
   while ! `ping -q -c1 example.com >/dev/null`; do .; done