Greetings

Couldn't resist asking but can they really patent :
"sending "formatted" data over SSL" ?
That is just plain ridiculous !!
If i remember correctly the is also an RFC just for syslog under BSD.
A lot of devices already have syslog build in (for instance my AP
piece of crap USR has a syslog function) machines are going to be
pulled of the market ? That is plain dumb, we are heading for another
one of those frenzy" lets patent everything".

Best regards Laurent

On 7/3/06, J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 15:52:57 -0400, "Nick Guenther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On 7/1/06, J.C. Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:54:14 +0300, "Alexey E. Suslikov"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Patent jeopardizes IETF syslog standard. Read here
>> >http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/28/2320232
>>
>> This sucks. It's no different than what Cisco did with their HSRP patent
>> to try to kill off VRRP. The Huawei IPR claim to the IETF is nearly
>> identical to the crap Cisco put out years ago in their IPR claim.
>>
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_detail_show.cgi?ipr_id=724
>>
>> The end result is we have CARP, a patent busting implementation that is
>> far better than either of the originals...
>>
>> Will they never learn?
>>
>> Anyone in the mood for "slog" ?
>
>Isn't syslog just like... send random data on port 514 to whoever and
>they record it? How can you possibly patent that? That would be like
>patenting talking.
>
>-Nick

Basically you are correct about *current* syslog implementations. The
two goals of the syslog standard work being done are (1) defining a
message format and (2) providing a "secure" transport of said messages.

In short, secure inter-operability of syslog across various systems.

No one knows what's in the "sealed" patent application at the moment
since it has not been publicly released but considering the guys
claiming the patent have been involved in the syslog standards process,
you can reasonably certain some degree of dishonesty and corruption are
involved.

JCR

--
Free, Open Source CAD, CAM and EDA Tools
http://www.DesignTools.org