I can't imagine what simple thing I'm leaving out.
When ever I try to ssh to an account with the shell set to /usr/sbin/authpf
I get disconnected immediately after getting the motd. I know I'm connecting and authenticating, but I don't stay connected.

I've created the files
authpf.allow    authpf.conf     authpf.message  authpf.problem  authpf.rules
in /etc/authpf ro to all but root.

authpf.allow contains a single "*"
authpf.conf is empty
authpf.rules contains:
pass in  quick on $IN_IF from $user_ip to any keep state
pass out quick on $IN_IF from $user_ip to any keep state

pass in  quick on $EX_IF from $user_ip to any keep state
pass out quick on $EX_IF from $user_ip to any keep state

I've put the anchors in the main pf ruleset and they load without any errors.
nat-anchor "authpf/*"
rdr-anchor "authpf/*"
binat-anchor "authpf/*"
anchor "authpf/*"

One other related issue. If I use the adduser script and specify authpf as the shell, I get "authpf: is not allowed!". I've used vipw to change the shell to /usr/sbin/authpf for the test user.

Thank you.