On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 09:12:37PM +0200, Mackan wrote:
> On 10 jul 2006, at 20.43, Spruell, Darren-Perot wrote:
> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >>Is there any UTF-8-aware text editor (for terminal use) available
> >>for OpenBSD? Vi(m) and similar is out of question for me, I never
> >>learned those.
> >
> >As ubiquitous as vi is on Unix, it seems a shallow reason.
> >
> >Really, it takes all of 15 minutes to pick up what you need for vi/
> >vim.
> >Install a copy somewhere and spend a few minutes on vimtutor and
> >you should
> >find it pretty straightforward.
> >
> >DS
>
> You are probably right about that. We'll see.
>
> I just "upgraded" my server OS from Debian/Linux to OpenBSD. But it
> seems that in the case of Unicode-aware applications I made a big
> "downgrade".
>
> I really want I simple editor with unicode, for myself and my users.

As to Unicode, you are probably right. Which is not to say an
internationalized OpenBSD isn't possible, but it's probably less
built-in than in mainstream Linux distributions.

Of course, Unicode is evil, and I for one am pretty happy to limit
myself to straight ASCII for 99% of the text I type, and the latter 1%
is fairly evenly split between 'inconvenient, but no deal-breaker',
'LaTeX can produce accented characters without me needing to leave the
ASCII set' and 'well, this needs doing on a Wintel box anyway'[1].

                Joachim

[1] For ease of understanding for the rest of the world, I use a
venerable Adobe Pagemaker for layout. I like LaTeX, but it's not the
easiest program to teach to people, and probably not the most convenient
for the more artsy layouts either.
(Sort of like HTML, now that I think about it, except that I'm free to
compile LaTeX on a non-sucky compiler and send someone the results,
instead of being forced to cater for each bug in all major
implementations... that, and it does formulas with something that can be
described as 'elegance'.)