On 7/15/06, Peter Philipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 04:03:52PM -0700, smith wrote:
> If I'm going to provide my customers internet access I better keep track of
> the traffic that my customers' dsl modems generate.  This is to protect me
> from lawsuits and abuse of the services I provide.  Hmmm.  Looking through the

I guess it's illegal nowadays to symlink your logs to /dev/null.

> logs I notice that all of a sudden my dhcp server is sending out IP leases
> every minute, why?  Or when I look at my graphs, there is a spike in dhcp
> leases and plateaus for the rest of the day.  Hmmm.  This one customer with a
> dsl mac address such and such and/or phone number such and such is the one
> making all the request for a new leases.  I wonder what he's up too?  Hmm.
> Most of his traffic is mp3's.  Hmmmmmmm.

Funny scenario, does not apply to me. :)

> Just from the fact that you make all those request for new leases makes you
> stand out.

And?  The ISP cannot do anything.  They can write a new clause to their EULA
that re-connecting within X amount of time is excessive and forbidden, and
notify the customer on that, so that they may adjust their settings.

And I'm sure they'd be pretty bored with POP3 traffic and HTTP, and the
occasional ftp to download open source ports.  I see no problem.

Thanks for the info though.

Haha this thread is awesome. I saw the beginning of it a few hours ago
and was going to jump in but had to go somewhere. Now I come back and
see it's exploded, just like I knew it would as soon as I saw "I do
this for personal reasons and I like it this way".

Philip, your system fails. Not that you shouldn't try to be anonymous,
but you clearly don't know enough about how the internet works to
accomplish that on your own. Look up tor. Look up freenet (.sf.net,
not .de). Those have been developed for years by some of the brightest
in the field and they *still* have big weaknesses.

Anyway, there is no such thing as an mp3 concatation program, at least
not like you're looking for, because the need for a program that can
detect duplicate blocks *does not exist*. You do not count as need,
especially since the easy solution is to go with a mopre stable IP.

Anonymity has is costs. The sad thing here is that you have only a
false sense of anonymity.

-Nick