On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 05:53:04 -0400, Marcus Watts wrote:

> [...]
>
>       { it's clear the originator isn't worried about secrecy
>       or anonymity, given he's using a remote radius server
>       and asked for help in a public forum. }
>
>       { if he *was* interested in privacy & anonymity, surely he'd
>       be exploring broadcast or unidirectional protocols such as
>       digital radio mondiale and not asking us questions. }
>
>1. I'm pretty sure Vincent Cerf didn't intend for any tcp protocols to
>survive changing the IP address every minute.  Although a lot of his
>work seems to have involved machines that were too heavy to carry and
>too expensive to re-address every minute, he appears to have
>nevertheless been keenly interested in mobile computing & radio use
>before either were common.  I've no doubt he'd be amused by the
>originator's attempt, though I doubt he'd be supportive.  The problem
>does sound remarkably like a "worst case" roaming scenario with
>wireless IP.  Maybe something involving a revolving restaurant?
>
>       { Since the originator of this thread appears to have been
>       relying on what are presumably non-dedicated data circuits &
>       shared servers, his connections are subject to random delay
>       depending on competition from other user(s) of those services.
>       Excessive delay will surely lead to lost data, and snippets
>       that cannot be pasted together without weirdness.
>       Presumably those delays will get worse with time... }
>
>2. If you *were* trying to piece together a reliable data feed
>out of very short snippets, you'd probably have much better luck
>if you managed up to *two* separate overlapping connections --
>dropping one once you've sync'd up with the other.  Dropping
>duplicated data is easier than recreating lost data.
>
>3. If you wanted to use internet protocols to give you a reliable
>feed (instead of making one yourself as in 2), you'll want to run
>a vpn on top of your physical connection, so that you can then
>use tcp to manage packet drops due to the underlying connection
>randomly disappearing.
>
>4. "sox" will concatenate mp3 input's together.  You'd then need to
>re-encode the output stream using some mp3 encoder.  sox won't
>be capable of recovering data lost due to network drops,
>and it's not going to help you with pasting snippets together either.
>There is tons of other audio software that can do the same thing,
>with variable amounts of fluff and bother.
>
>5. There are a bunch of people who are very keen on matching audio
>fragments up.  Some phrases they like to use are "audio finger-printing",
>or "automatic music identification".  Unfortunately these are also the
>very same people who tend to be real keen on proprietary data &
>software techniques.  Fortunately for you, the patent process is
>"supposed" to encourage people to provide sufficient information to
>make it possible to make experimental use of patented technology.
>Unfortunately for you, "supposed to" to a lawyer is rather like what
>"possible" means to a mathematician who is asked if the product

What a beautiful piece of writing.

There are chunks that I cannot claim expertise on. Even they sound
plausible (in the non-derogatory sense) and the bits that I do know
about seem consistant with reality.

Marcus, it was a joy to read a well constructed essay with no ad
hominem bits that should, but I would not bet my lefty on it, be the
end of this tiresome thread. Or at least the end of the discursive
part, you may see other compliments. ;-)

>From the land "down under": Australia.
Do we look <umop apisdn> from up over?

Do NOT CC me - I am subscribed to the list.
Replies to the sender address will fail except from the list-server.
Your IP address will also be greytrapped for 24 hours after any attempt.
I am continually amazed by the people who run OpenBSD who don't take this
advice. I always expected a smarter class. I guess not.