On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 04:42:15PM -0400, Steve Shockley wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a good USB audio device that's supported under
> OpenBSD?  I'm looking for something that won't sound like crap when
> played through a home stereo.  I tried an AOpen PCI card some time ago
> thinking that having an optical output would make having a cheap card
> irrelevant, boy was I wrong, it sounded terrible.
>
> What I'd like:
>
> USB preferred, PCI okay.
> SPDIF output, optical preferred.
> CD/DVD-quality sound
> Under US$100

I'd suggest you to get any USB 1.1 class-compliant card with good
DAC/ADC. I've got a m-audio mobile-pre that sounds very good.

> I don't care about recording on the PC, just playback.
>
> I did find http://www.behringer.com/UCA202/index.cfm, but I have no idea
> what's inside, so I don't know if it'll work under OpenBSD.

i've never tested it, but from the manual it seems to be a good card;
my experience with other behriger gears is that they have good
quality/price ratio.

Since the card is "driverless" it's probably class compliant and should
work on OpenBSD. If you can test it, let me know how well it works.

cheers,

--
Alexandre