Joe Gibbens wrote:
I'm running squid-transparent on 3.9, and the process dies every time
it reaches 1GB.
FATAL: xcalloc: Unable to allocate 1 blocks of 4108 bytes!
The system has 2GB ram

# ulimit -aH
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         1048576          <- (where is this limit configured?)

/sys/arch/i386/include/vmparam.h:#define MAXDSIZ (1024*1024*1024) /* max data size */

Note though, I could not go to 2G on amd64, since the kernel elf-loader code would act up while compiling (and other parts later might aswell!), but I did try 1.5G with a complete make build going through.

stack(kbytes)        32768
lockedmem(kbytes)    1907008
memory(kbytes)       1907008
nofiles(descriptors) 1024
processes            532

How do I change the 1GB maximum data segment size?  ulimit -d does not
seem to change anything.  Also, how do the limits in login.conf apply?
The _squid user is in the daemon class, and that class is set to a
data size of infinity?

The resource limits are inherited from the hard limit that vmparam.h sets of course, so if you manage to increase it, the the login.conf "infinity" should go up also. You wont reach 2G though, if I can make a guess.