There are several differences between now and then.

Anybody using the software based raid cards, like the cheap promise/highpoint
stuff is asking for trouble, no question.

However, vendors have made 24x7 SATA drives available, they're just not
the ones you see at the cheapest prices on pricewatch and newegg.  But
they're there.  WD makes 'em, seagate makes 'em, hitachi makes 'em.

Look for drives with the "enterprise" classification, which will get you
in the right category, drives with RLE or TRLE I believe I've seen it called.
read the specs, because it will say if it's designed for 24x7 use.

We switched from SCSI to SATA, and have seen no significant difference in
reliability, and a whole lot of savings in $'s.  But we don't buy the
cheapest POS drive at the lowest pricepoint on pricewatch.com either.

And we use almost all 3ware RAID cards for both PATA and SATA.

Most of our drives are the WD raptors.

I am not sure what the "flashing of the bios" issue is, you can flash the
chips on SATA, PATA and SCSI drives with the right software and firmware
from the vendor, nothing special about the drive itself that makes SCSI
magical.

Heck, you can get near petabyte storage arrays now from several top vendors,
and guess what?  Most of them are using SATA.  I believe Netapp is using
SATA drives in some of their systems, and anybody who knows Netapp knows they
don't release anything unless it's solid, and won't damage their reputation.

In short, the SCSI is better theory may be true for a short while longer,
but is more likely just the result of inertia, and bad experiencese with
cheap crappy IDE drives on crappy controllers, not quality components.