On Aug 22, 2006, at 2:17 AM, Robert Urban wrote:

Hi Folks,

using a simple test program to write sequential blocks to a file, optionally opening with O_SYNC, I've tested write performance to a MegaRAID logical drive consisting of a RAID-5 set of 4 72GB HP Ultra320 disks and to a RAID-0
drive consisting of a single 300GB HP Ultra320 disk.  The controller
has 128MB of cache, but I do not have a battery, so cache write policy
is write-through. The kernel is the "bsd", and not "bsd.mp", but it makes
no difference. I've tried both.

Had the same kind of low performance on a Dell server with an entry level RAID adapter. I took the risk to force cache write policy to write-back, even without a battery.

Performance is as it should be for a RAID-0, I'm just sweating a bit more...

Next time, will add a few bucks and buy a real controller.

Regards.