Hi!

Recently I just had a look at netstat -nrf inet and saw an IP not even
in the network. Two days later I realized it was my friend's PC (he
visisted me here with his PC) because he had the same IP again on a
second visit with his PC. But then I wondered why it was still in the
routing table. After the second visit, the same happened again: He
wasn't even here anymore and 24h later, the IP was still in the routing
table.

The problem is only with my friend's box. All other machines here get
removed from the routing table after they are off for a while. The line
always remaining in the routing table is this:

192.168.1.44       link#2             UHLc        1   261582      -   rl0

Looking for link#2:
192.168.1/24       link#2             UC          4        0      -   rl0

That's why I'm wondering: Are there any reasons why a route does NOT
timeout? Can a machine request to get not removed from the routing
table in some way? The only thing I know about his machine is that he
uses Windows XP (*sigh*) without any SP.

The quoted lines from netstat -nrf inet are from my router, running
OpenBSD 4.0-beta. I can't test how it is on the other OpenBSD boxes
here, since none of them runs for 24h or longer.

If you need more information, just tell me what you need.

PS: Removing it manually from the routing table works. But if I don't
do this, the route doesn't timeout and is kept forever.

--
Jonathan