Hello,

searches the web but couldn't find and usefull information and/or it didn't answer my questions.

I am looking for some software to encrypt some large folders containing personal stuff. It should be possible to decrypt it on BSD and Linux systems.

I found cfs in the ports tree but since it "just" got 3-key TDES and I am not sure about using blowfish and don't even know the others I am wondering how secure it is compared to other implementations like cryptsetup for Linux which can use AES.

Since I a total beginner when it comes to programming I am wondering how hard it would be to enable aes in cfs and if 3-key TDES is still safe.
Safe means, for me, that it needs too much time for decryption to even try.

Also, if I understood correctly, it is possible to pipe a key into cmkdir when creating a folder and same when using cattach. Would it be possible to pipe the content of, lets say, a small image or a file filles from /dev/random or some other file as a key?
Minimum key length is 16, whats the maximum key length?

I am asking since I would like to use a floppy or USB stick to unlock the encrypted folders.

Michael