On 8/22/06, joe_schmoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Greetings

I am contemplating buying the OBSD3.8 CDs and just wanted to double
check something first before proceeding. I have heard about a program
called Tor which I think stands for "The Onion Router" - which basically
anonymizes one's Internet activity (is that correct?). I would like to
install that on the OBSD3.8 dedicated firewall, so just a couple of
quick questions:
1. What is involved in installing Tor - any special proceedures or any
gotchas?

http://tor.eff.org

Tor does not play nice with something on OpenBSD. something to do with
gethostbyname_r(), which OpenBSD doesn't even have.

2. Does it have any effect on overall performance?

Yes. It redirects traffic bouncing it all over the internet.

3. Is my understanding of the function of Tor accurate and will it
actually anonymize all machines behind the firewall? Would this extend
to blocking IP addresses, or does it merely mangle the packet headers?

No, not entirely. They make this quite clear at http://tor.eff.org

-Nick