Hi,
It seems I've been bitten by one of the bugs that exist in sendmail
8.13.4 that
ships with obsd3.9
This particular bug was fixed in 8.13.5:
        When a server responds with 421 to the STARTTLS command then
treat
                it as a temporary error, not as protocol error.  Problem
                noted by Andrey J. Melnikoff.

I know that this won't be officially supported by the obsd developers,
but is
the idea to update just the sendmail component to -current (sendmail
8.13.8) on
3.9-stable a reasonable one, or am I being completely stupid.

I've got a lot of boxes on obsd 3.9-stable, and although I will update
them
to 4.0 when it comes out, I was hoping to fix this sendmail problem in a
quicker way than updating them all to 4.0-beta, then updating them all
again
to 4.0 when it comes out. ( as I am still a newbie, I prefer -stable to
-current on production boxes )

Thanks,
Craig.