I just built a dual-core opteron system (some of you may recall my
bad hardware last week that put a damper on my OpenBSD installation)
and everything went very smoothly with the default amd64 /bsd kernel
(installing from the v3.9 cd's).  However, my understanding is that
in order to take advantage of the dual-core properties of my cpu I
need to use the /bsd.mp kernel (please correct me if that's wrong).
The machine boots fine with the /bsd.mp kernel, however there are
two problems: a) the keyboard is dead. b) the cdrom errors out and
cannot be mounted.  Both of these items function perfectly under the
/bsd kernel.  Here is a link to a dmesg that shows the /bsd.mp boot
followed by the cdrom errors followed by the /bsd boot.

http://members.cox.net/supra/dm.txt

At this point, very close to release, you would be much better off
trying a snapshot.

If you can do this, it will help the project test for release, and
you have a much better chance that the bug has been fixed in the
meantime.

Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I installed the latest amd64 4.0 snapshot and everything seems to be working fine now with both the bsd and bsd.mp kernels.

I have submitted a new dmesg, let me know if there is something else useful (for the developers) that I could do to highlight what changed between 3.9 and the 4.0 snapshot.

Thanks again,
Jef