On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 11:29:49AM -0400, steve szmidt wrote:
> (Say what you will about Linux being inferior in ways, it managed
> to do what no other Unice did for all that time -- captured a
> mainstream. A lot of development is being done benefitting most if
> not all Open Source platforms because of the attention coming down
> the Linux shute. So in the end we all win regardless of the O/S.)

In many cases, this is simply not true. Much of the hardware support
added to Linux is prohibitively Linux-specific or not worth the
effort to bring over to OpenBSD (or other BSDs) -- assuming the
driver is something more than a wrapper around a binary. Much of the
new software developed for GNU/Linux systems is messy, unportable
and utterly useless on different platforms. Linux's popularity has
drawn developers to Linux, and they've developed Linuxy things. In
some cases, BSD users benefit, too, especially when licensing and
code portability aren't total disasters. In lots of cases, though,
we get nil.

And as you should know, Unix *was* the computing mainstream for a
long period. Not on home desktops (which didn't exist for most of
that period), granted, but on workstations and servers, Unix was The
Right Choice. IMHO, Unix *continues* to be the right choice in its
traditional environments, and has become quite useful on desktops
and laptops in the last decade or so.

--

| web:.......http://www.lfod.us/ | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |