I'm setting up a Soekris net4801-50 (128 Mb RAM) for use as a firewall. For
storage it has a 40Gb IDE drive rather than compact flash. For my first attempt
I used a generic install of OpenBSD 3.9. The user complained that Internet
access seemed slow, however. I'm planning to try again using a custom kernel
based on the config file included with Chris Cappuccio's Flashdist installer.
(A copy is provided below for reference). Is this a good idea?

If I go this route I expect I should comment out the MFS option in the
Flashdist config since I'm not using compact flash, and uncomment
FFS_SOFTUPDATES. Would anyone care to suggest other changes I should make this
config file for my scenario?

Any other advice would be appreciated. I have no previous experience with
Soekris products and very little experience with custom kernels. I realize that
this list is not for supporting people using custom kernels but I hope it's
okay to ask a few general questions like this.

Thanks,
RPK.

# OpenBSD config for networking on the Soekris Engineering
# net4801 embedded systems-
# [EMAIL PROTECTED]

machine         i386            # architecture, used by config; REQUIRED

#option         NTP             # hooks supporting the Network Time Protocol

option          DDB             # in-kernel debugger
#option         DDB_SAFE_CONSOLE # allow break into ddb during boot
#makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table
#makeoptions    PROF="-pg"      # build profiled kernel
#option         GPROF           # kernel profiling, kgmon(8)
option          DIAGNOSTIC      # internal consistency checks
option          KTRACE          # system call tracing, a la ktrace(1)
#option         KMEMSTATS       # collect malloc(9) statistics

option          CRYPTO          # Cryptographic framework

option          FFS             # UFS
option          MFS             # Memory FS
#option         FFS_SOFTUPDATES # Soft updates

option          TCP_SACK        # Selective Acknowledgements for TCP
#option         TCP_FACK        # Forward Acknowledgements for TCP
option          TCP_SIGNATURE   # TCP MD5 Signatures, for BGP routing sessions

option          FDESC           # /dev/fd
option          FIFO            # FIFOs; RECOMMENDED
option          KERNFS          # /kern
#option         NULLFS          # loopback file system
option          PROCFS          # /proc
#option         UMAPFS          # NULLFS + uid and gid remapping

option          INET            # IP + ICMP + TCP + UDP
option          ALTQ            # ALTQ base
#option         ALTQ_NOPCC      # We don't have Pentium features on 486....
# NOPCC may be necessary if the Geode's TSC is really as buggy as it sounds
#option         INET6           # IPv6 (needs INET)
#option         PULLDOWN_TEST   # use m_pulldown for IPv6 packet parsing
option          IPSEC           # IPsec
#option         PPP_BSDCOMP     # PPP BSD compression
#option         PPP_DEFLATE

option          BOOT_CONFIG     # add support for boot -c

#option         I486_CPU
option          I586_CPU
#option         I686_CPU

option          USER_PCICONF    # user-space PCI configuration

#option         KGDB            # Remote debugger support; exclusive of DDB
#option         "KGDB_DEVNAME=\"pccom\"",KGDBADDR=0x2f8,KGDBRATE=9600

#option         DUMMY_NOPS      # speed hack; recommended

# Work around -current breakage
option          PTRACE

maxusers        32              # estimated number of users

config          bsd     root on wd0a

mainbus0 at root

cpu0            at mainbus0
bios0           at mainbus0
apm0    at bios0 flags 0x0000   # flags 0x0101 to force protocol version 1.1
pcibios0 at bios0 flags 0x0000  # use 0x30 for a total verbose

isa0    at mainbus0
isa0    at pcib?
pci*    at mainbus0

ohci*   at pci?                 # Open Host Controller
usb*    at ohci?

#
# The MediaGX (Geode) uses a PIT clock at standard frequency so there is
# no special setting here like there is for the Elan SC520
#

option          PCCOMCONSOLE
option          CONSPEED=19200

option          PCIVERBOSE

uhub*   at usb?                 # USB Hubs
uhub*   at uhub?                # USB Hubs
umodem* at uhub?                # USB Modems/Serial
ucom*   at umodem?
#ubsa*  at uhub?                # Belkin serial adapter
#ucom*  at ubsa?
#uftdi* at uhub?                # FTDI FT8U100AX serial adapter
#ucom*  at uftdi?
#uplcom* at uhub?               # I/O DATA USB-RSAQ2 serial adapter
#ucom*  at uplcom?
#umct*  at uhub?                # MCT USB-RS232 serial adapter
#ucom*  at umct?
#uaudio* at uhub?               # USB Audio
#umidi* at uhub?
#ulpt*  at uhub?                # USB Printers
#umass* at uhub?                # USB Mass Storage devices
#scsibus* at umass?
#aue*   at uhub?                # ADMtek AN986 Pegasus Ethernet
#cue*   at uhub?                # CATC USB-EL1201A based Ethernet
#kue*   at uhub?                # Kawasaki KL5KUSB101B based Ethernet
#upl*   at uhub?                # Prolific PL2301/PL2302 host-to-host `network'
#url*   at uhub?                # Realtek RTL8150L based adapters
#urio*  at uhub?                # Diamond Multimedia Rio 500
#uyap*  at uhub?                # [EMAIL PROTECTED] firmware loader
#udsbr* at uhub?                # D-Link DSB-R100 radio
#radio* at udsbr
ugen*   at uhub?                # USB Generic driver

pchb*   at pci?                 # PCI-Host bridges
geodesc* at pci?                # NSC Geode System Controller
nsclpcsio* at isa? port 0x2e    # NS PC87366 LPC Super I/O
nsclpcsio* at isa? port 0x4e
gpio*   at nsclpcsio?

gscsio* at isa? port 0x2e       # NS Geode SC1100 Super I/O
gscsio* at isa? port 0x15c
iic*    at gscsio?              # ACCESS.bus 1 & 2

maxds*  at iic?                 # Maxim DS1631/1624/1721
lmtemp* at iic?                 # NS LM75/LM77 temperature sensor

ppb*    at pci?                 # PCI-PCI bridges
pci*    at ppb?
pci*    at pchb?
pcib*   at pci?                 # PCI-ISA bridge
gscpcib* at pci?                # NS Geode SC1100 PCI-ISA bridge
gpio*   at gscpcib?

npx0    at isa? port 0xf0 irq 13        # math coprocessor
isadma0 at isa?

#pcppi0 at isa?
#sysbeep0 at pcppi?

pccom0  at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4        # standard PC serial ports
pccom1  at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3

# IDE controllers
pciide* at pci?  flags 0x0000
wdc0    at isa? port 0x1f0 irq 14 flags 0x00

wd*     at wdc? flags 0x0000
wd*     at pciide? flags 0x0000

sis*    at pci?                 # SiS 900/7016 ethernet

#lmc*   at pci?                 # Lan Media / SBE card
#san*   at pci?                 # Sangoma PCI AFT card
#musycc*        at pci?         # Conexant HDLC controller
#art*   at musycc?

nsphyter*       at mii?         # NS and compatible PHYs

# crypto support
hifn*   at pci?                 # Hi/fn 7xxx crypto card

# Wireless network cards
wi*     at pci?                 # Intersil Prism MiniPCI wireless card
ath*    at pci?                 # Atheros MiniPCI wireless card

#pseudo-device  pctr            1

pseudo-device   crypto          1

pseudo-device   ksyms           1
pseudo-device   systrace        1

pseudo-device   pf              # packet filter
pseudo-device   pflog           # pf log if
pseudo-device   pfsync          # pf sync if

# clonable devices
pseudo-device   loop            # network loopback
pseudo-device   bpfilter        # packet filter
pseudo-device   trunk           # Trunking support
pseudo-device   carp            # CARP protocol support
pseudo-device   sl              # CSLIP
pseudo-device   ppp             # Async PPP
pseudo-device   tun             # network tunneling over tty
pseudo-device   enc             # IPSEC encapsulating interface
pseudo-device   bridge          # network bridging support
pseudo-device   vlan            # IEEE 802.1Q VLAN
pseudo-device   gre             # GRE encapsulation interface
pseudo-device   gif             # IPv[46] over IPv[46] tunnel (RFC1933)

#pseudo-device  strip   1       # Starmode Radio IP interface
pseudo-device   pty     32      # pseudo-terminals

# for IPv6
#pseudo-device  faith   1       # IPv[46] tcp relay translation i/f

pseudo-device   pppoe   1       # PPP over Ethernet (RFC 2516)
pseudo-device   sppp    1       # Cisco HDLC / PPP