Alejandro Lozanoff wrote:
Hello list,

Following the search for supported hardware for our OpenBSD servers... Has anyone tried OpenBSD on any of these machines? I guess it should work on 4.0, i see that mfi(4) supports the Dell SAS controllers that this model use. Just wondering if anyone tried them and had any problem before we buy this (rather expensive) servers.

In a project, we've deployed 36U of 1950s.
No problem with mfi's but these 1U beasts are too noisy, experience thermal problems and fan failures can be frustrating.

1U servers are generally expensive on Dell. If rack space is not your sole concern, you can consider more 2850s or go with newer 2950s. I know this means doubling the space requirements but thermal management can be your worst nightmare.

BTW: I asked some time ago for information on some PowerEdge 2850 servers, we finally bought them and they are working flawlessly on 3.9-stable, sensors, raid controllers, etc.

2850 is a good machine for running OpenBSD.
4 ioapic, 2 em(4), ami(4), good sensors support (ipmi and safte), etc.
You can find charming deals on 2850s as their successors (2950) are on the market.