On 2006/10/13 11:24, Ronnie Garcia wrote:
> >I have been recommended by our ISPs that I should also advertise
> >routes between the routers, so that if one's BGP session fails, it can
> >route packets to the other for a cleaner failover. I have not managed
> >to get this configuration working.
>
> Yes you should, this is called iBGP. All of your BGP routers should have
> a iBGP session with all of the others, in a full mesh (unless you are
> using a route reflector).

OP has already done that in the config file, the problem is how to
add a route so the other provider's router can be reached. Normally the
provider's router is listed in the IBGP announcement so unless this is
overwritten in the IBGP announcements (by 'set nexthop) you need to have
a route to the provider's router (static or OSPF).

>From the sample config I guess OP may not realise that 'set nexthop' is
on announcements, it doesn't overwrite the nexthop on incoming routes.
Any confusion with the action of 'set' attributes, use bgpd -nv which
demonstrates clearly how they apply.

On 2006/10/12 14:05, X Y wrote:
>              I use depend on carp0 ... carp3 on the master router
> (chosen via advskew) to drop that session if it fails,

'depend on carp' is mostly for where you have a peer session running
from a carp address (e.g. if you're at an IXP where you are only
allowed one IP address and want to connect two routers). It is used
to hold the backup router in IDLE in normal conditions, and
immediately connect when it becomes master. I'm not sure this is
what you are intending to do?

It might help to see some 'sh ip bgp d <some.prefix>'.