On 2006/10/13 16:50, Jeff Quast wrote:
> On 10/13/06, Stuart Henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >installing OpenBSD/armish on an n2100 I had to manually fdisk
>
> INSTALL.armish in the fdisk section says "Write some good explaination
> here...", so maybe this is known -- but nobody has written a good
> section for this.

didn't spot that this time round - that'll teach me for reading it a
few days ago and only skimming it while actually installing!

it was suggested off-list that recent disk emulation changes may
(or may not) have been involved; fdisk creates a partition of the
size that would be appropriate for the c*h*s geometry shown by
fdisk, disklabel and atactl so it might be something different
though.

> >(12V 5A made by Seasonic) draws approx 15W (39VA) at idle,
> >18W (43VA) compiling. (and the soldering's pretty easy).
>
> This machine looks really fun though! Thanks for the power stats, too!
>
> >obio0 at mainbus0
> >com0 at obio0 addr 0xfe800000 intr 28: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> >com0: console
>
> I don't mind soldering -- but soldering what? Is this for com0?

yes, you need to attach a .1" 2x5-pin header (minus one pin)
to the space conveniently located on the drive backplane away
from anything that's too easy to damage. I bought a strip
with enough to do several boxes, if someone wants one or two
headers somewhere I can post to cheaply (.uk/europe) then mail
me offlist.

if you have multiple boxes to build, you can just move the
backplane around if you only need one with a console. you need
the serial console to install the OpenBSD boot loader onto
flash, or to netboot, but not to actually run it (though it helps).

I moved j3 to j4 as well (irq for serial port, info on
http://www.debonaras.org/wiki/Info/ThecusN2100 internals page)

the fan's not the quietest but not too worrying.

runs ok with 512MB RAM borrowed from my main desktop machine,
I don't have any larger stick to try it with (the RAM controller
in the 80219 is meant to support 1GB of DDR ECC RAM, but I don't
know what this board supports). much nicer for port-building
than a zaurus :-)

thanks to all involved with porting to this arch...(and well,
everyone who spends time working on OpenBSD)