Adriaan wrote:
> On 10/14/06, Richard P. Koett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I'm having throughput problems using a Soekris net4801 as a firewall
>> running OpenBSD 3.9. This is replacing a SonicWALL device that was
>> working fine from the user's perspective. (I want to replace it
>> because, among other things, I abhor SonicWALL's licensing). I won't
>> post a
>> dmesg unless requested because I think this platform is pretty well
>> known. Hosts on the internal network are able to access the Internet
>> but report that access seems slow. Some operations fail consistently.
>> For example, users can send and receive e-mail e-mails but can't send
>> e-mail with attachments larger than about 20K. I ran a browser-based
>> ADSL speed test from an internal host and found download speeds to
>> be quite good but upload tests fail to complete.
>>
>> I found a few similar problems in the archives but the posted
>> solutions haven't worked for me. I can't see that pf is blocking
>> anything I want passed. At the moment I am running a stripped down
>> pf.conf as follows:
>>
>> # DECLARATIONS:
>> Ext_If="sis0"
>> Int_If="sis1"
>> DMZ_If="sis2"
>> Int_Net="192.168.5.0/24"

>> set loginterface $Ext_If
>>
>> # NAT / REDIRECTION:
>> nat on $Ext_If from $Int_Net to any -> ($Ext_If)
>> rdr on $Ext_If inet proto tcp from any to ($Ext_If) port 3391 \
>>         -> 192.168.5.1 port 3391
>> rdr on $Ext_If inet proto tcp from any to ($Ext_If) port 3392 \
>>         -> 192.168.5.2 port 3392
>>
>> I think I can rule out things like speed and duplex problems between
>> the Soekris and the local switch because the problem only affects
>> outbound traffic. I tried a few scrub options to no avail but may
>> not have been doing the right thing. I would really appreciate any
>> suggestions on how to troubleshoot this. If I can't get this
>> resolved by Monday morning I'm going to take some heat.
>>

> Do netstat -in,  netstat -s or netstat -ss give any clues?

netstat -in lists no errors or collisions. Below is the output from
netstat -ss and netstat -s. I'm not sure what to make of it:

# netstat -ss
ip:
        241379 total packets received
        3302 packets for this host
        1 packet for unknown/unsupported protocol
        236784 packets forwarded
        3 packets not forwardable
        3048 packets sent from this host
icmp:
        495 calls to icmp_error
        Output packet histogram:
                echo reply: 180
                destination unreachable: 495
        Input packet histogram:
                destination unreachable: 1
                echo: 180
        180 message responses generated
igmp:
ipencap:
tcp:
        1234 packets sent
                1017 data packets (161279 bytes)
                27 data packets (17252 bytes) retransmitted
                153 ack-only packets (775 delayed)
                37 control packets
        1737 packets received
                762 acks (for 151461 bytes)
                222 duplicate acks
                808 packets (28599 bytes) received in-sequence
                9 completely duplicate packets (252 bytes)
                10 out-of-order packets (80 bytes)
                4 window update packets
                1737 packets hardware-checksummed
        6 connection requests
        26 connection accepts
        32 connections established (including accepts)
        57 connections closed (including 0 drops)
        717 segments updated rtt (of 729 attempts)
        26 retransmit timeouts
        3 correct ACK header predictions
        457 correct data packet header predictions
        308 PCB cache misses
                        cwr by fastrecovery: 26
                        cwr by timeout: 26
        26 SYN cache entries added
                26 completed
        26 SACK recovery episodes
                34 segment rexmits in SACK recovery episodes
                8552 byte rexmits in SACK recovery episodes
        202 SACK options received
        1 SACK option sent
udp:
        1385 datagrams received
        5 with no checksum
        1380 input packets hardware-checksummed
        99 dropped due to no socket
        1260 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
        26 delivered
        27 datagrams output
        100 missed PCB cache
esp:
ah:
etherip:
ipcomp:
carp:
pfsync:
ip6:
        12 packets sent from this host
        Mbuf statistics:
icmp6:
        Output packet histogram:
                multicast listener report: 10
                neighbor solicitation: 2
        Histogram of error messages to be generated:
pim6:
rip6:

# netstat -s

(Note: Some parts omitted for brevity where all entries were zeros)

ip:
        241674 total packets received
        0 bad header checksums
        0 with size smaller than minimum
        0 with data size < data length
        0 with header length < data size
        0 with data length < header length
        0 with bad options
        0 with incorrect version number
        0 fragments received
        0 fragments dropped (duplicates or out of space)
        0 malformed fragments dropped
        0 fragments dropped after timeout
        0 packets reassembled ok
        3525 packets for this host
        1 packet for unknown/unsupported protocol
        236856 packets forwarded
        3 packets not forwardable
        0 redirects sent
        3252 packets sent from this host
        0 packets sent with fabricated ip header
        0 output packets dropped due to no bufs, etc.
        0 output packets discarded due to no route
        0 output datagrams fragmented
        0 fragments created
        0 datagrams that can't be fragmented
        0 fragment floods
        0 packets with ip length > max ip packet size
        0 tunneling packets that can't find gif
        0 datagrams with bad address in header
        0 input datagrams checksum-processed by hardware
        0 output datagrams checksum-processed by hardware
        0 multicast packets which we don't join
icmp:
        497 calls to icmp_error
        0 errors not generated because old message was icmp
        Output packet histogram:
                echo reply: 180
                destination unreachable: 497
        0 messages with bad code fields
        0 messages < minimum length
        0 bad checksums
        0 messages with bad length
        Input packet histogram:
                destination unreachable: 1
                echo: 180
        180 message responses generated
tcp:
        1443 packets sent
                1171 data packets (183704 bytes)
                34 data packets (22984 bytes) retransmitted
                0 fast retransmitted packets
                195 ack-only packets (902 delayed)
                0 URG only packets
                0 window probe packets
                0 window update packets
                43 control packets
                0 packets hardware-checksummed
        1953 packets received
                882 acks (for 171016 bytes)
                253 duplicate acks
                0 acks for unsent data
                0 acks for old data
                949 packets (35727 bytes) received in-sequence
                11 completely duplicate packets (292 bytes)
                0 old duplicate packets
                0 packets with some duplicate data (0 bytes duplicated)
                10 out-of-order packets (80 bytes)
                0 packets (0 bytes) of data after window
                0 window probes
                4 window update packets
                0 packets received after close
                0 discarded for bad checksums
                0 discarded for bad header offset fields
                0 discarded because packet too short
                0 discarded for missing IPsec protection
                0 discarded due to memory shortage
                1953 packets hardware-checksummed
                0 bad/missing md5 checksums
                0 good md5 checksums
        6 connection requests
        31 connection accepts
        37 connections established (including accepts)
        63 connections closed (including 0 drops)
        0 connections drained
        0 embryonic connections dropped
        815 segments updated rtt (of 825 attempts)
        33 retransmit timeouts
                0 connections dropped by rexmit timeout
        0 persist timeouts
        0 keepalive timeouts
                0 keepalive probes sent
                0 connections dropped by keepalive
        3 correct ACK header predictions
        515 correct data packet header predictions
        318 PCB cache misses
        0 ECN connections accepted
                0 ECE packets received
                0 CWR packets received
                0 CE packets received
                0 ECT packets sent
                0 ECE packets sent
                0 CWR packets sent
                        cwr by fastrecovery: 27
                        cwr by timeout: 33
                        cwr by ecn: 0
        0 bad connection attempts
        31 SYN cache entries added
                0 hash collisions
                31 completed
                0 aborted (no space to build PCB)
                0 timed out
                0 dropped due to overflow
                0 dropped due to bucket overflow
                0 dropped due to RST
                0 dropped due to ICMP unreachable
        0 SYN,ACKs retransmitted
        0 duplicate SYNs received for entries already in the cache
        0 SYNs dropped (no route or no space)
        27 SACK recovery episodes
                36 segment rexmits in SACK recovery episodes
                9580 byte rexmits in SACK recovery episodes
        226 SACK options received
        1 SACK option sent
udp:
        1393 datagrams received
        0 with incomplete header
        0 with bad data length field
        0 with bad checksum
        5 with no checksum
        1388 input packets hardware-checksummed
        0 output packets hardware-checksummed
        101 dropped due to no socket
        1266 broadcast/multicast datagrams dropped due to no socket
        0 dropped due to missing IPsec protection
        0 dropped due to full socket buffers
        26 delivered
        27 datagrams output
        102 missed PCB cache