On 2006/10/18 09:56, ICMan wrote:

> I have read this thread, and I don't get it.  Doesn't it benefit card
> companies to have open source communities making their drivers better?
> They get free labour, a larger source of talent, and more stable
> drivers.

Why on earth would they want stable drivers? If the drivers are stable,
their customers can avoid the whole software/hardware/software/hardware
upgrade treadmill prevalent in most of today's PC business.

> Happy customers means more sales = more revenue.

I think some companies instead see it this way:

Working products = fewer people having to buy new products because
the old ones never worked anyway = less revenue.