On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:42:45PM +0200, Joachim Schipper wrote:
> I'm not sure about KDE, but rxvt loads pretty fast (<10ms?) on ion. And
> this is not exactly new hardware (neomagic driver, Thinkpad 390X).
>
> aterm takes .5 seconds due to the transparent background, and dillo
> takes about 1 second before it begins displaying my home page. It's more
> in the applications than in Xorg, usually.
>
>               Joachim

No need to be "not sure about KDE".

KDE is bloatware and everyone knows that. Something like the bash shell.

dillo is fast but useless. You can get the same thing with any of the console
browsers like w3m,lynx,elinks etc...

I have been very very happy with windowmaker so far.

Performance is amazing, very clean neat design and works very well on old
hardware.

I believe X does play a role as long as apps don't screw up which they usually
do.

Best,
Girish

--
Duty for duty's sake without hope for reward or fear of punishment