Hi,

I've been playing with dump(8) recently and have tried two different
ways of using it: backing up to a file on a USB drive, and backing up
to a remote box by specifying a remote file and using SSH in lieu of
RSH. I was also planning to try to write to a file on a remote machine
via NFS but I haven't had the time to try this.

I was planning to try to boot another computer using 'bsd.rd' on an
OpenBSD install CD, skip the install script, label and newfs the
appropriate partitions, and see if I could restore that system to a
previous state using the dumps.

However I noticed that 'ssh' or 'mount_nfs' do not seem to be
available on 'bsd.rd'.

So my question is this: is doing a remote network restore using
'bsd.rd' at all possible (or even suggested/recommended) or are
directly attached devices (IDE/SCSI/USB drives & tapes drives) the
only supported restore(8) sources with 'bsd.rd'?

Note: although I've used ufsdump and ufsrestore about five years ago
on a Solaris box with an attached tape drive, I haven't played with
backups on UN*X in a long while and I'm not very familiar with it
anymore, so forgive me if my question is stupid in any way.

Thanks,
-Martin

--
"Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names
the streets after them."

                                                  --Bill Vaughan