I've been searching mailing lists, man pages, and google with no good results, so I'm here to ask for a little nudge in the right direction.

I'm trying to configure 3.9 to authenticate against a Kerberos 5 realm. Kerberos is correctly configured (I can get a ticket via kinit). I've created a new user class and assigned krb5-or-pwd authentication (relevant portion of login.conf is below). I assigned a user to the class and attempted to login as that user. It would accept neither the kerberos nor local password (tried both through ssh and the local console).

My next thought was that krb5 will allow authentication via a ticket only (and not interactive login), so I grabbed a ticket (kinit -f) on another system and tried to ssh in with the same results -- it prompted for a password and accepted neither the kerberos nor local passwords.

I assume I'm missing a step here, but can't find any documentation or hints as to what that might be. I'd appreciate any links or suggestions on man pages that I should read.

Thanks in advance.

-- Don

login.conf excerpt:
-------------------------

netid:\
:path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/ local/bin:\
        :umask=022:\
        :datasize-max=512M:\
        :datasize-cur=512M:\
        :maxproc-max=128:\