On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 01:24:11PM -0400, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
> Stuart Henderson wrote:
> >On 2006/10/22 17:29, Daniel Ouellet wrote:
> >>It work,s but as soon as the setup for OpenBSD start to boot the bsd.rd,
> >>the access to both the ethernet management port as well as the serial
> >>console is lost and the only way is to use local keyboard and monitor.
> >
> >Usually BIOS serial redirection stops after the bootloader,
> >so you have to 'set tty com0' (either typed or, if you're booting
> >from PXE you can place it in $TFTPROOT/etc/boot.conf)
>
> But you can't do that if you boot from CD for example to do a fresh
> install. I was trying to see if I could do that for future needs before
> installing it in the field. But no success. (:<
>
> As for regular operation, I will try this and see if that does any
> difference.
>
> >The ethernet management is probably asf/ipmi and I guess it would
> >be on one of the broadcom nics, bge(4) doesn't support this at present
> >(was added for a short while but removed again, if_bge.c 1.104-1.106)
>
> It is the bge1 interface actually on this box.
>
> >4 ethernet, 2 card slots, LOM improvements... sounds like it's a lot
> >more useful machine.
>
> So far looks like a very nice server. Front loaded SAS drives, could do
> RAID as well, (don't know if that works well or not, didn't try yet),
> dual core CPU and a bunch more of nice features.
>
> I wasn't sure OpenBSD was going to work, so I took a chance, got one for
> testing and see. So, far, pretty nice!
>
> A few things don't look right in DMESG, but nothing that is a show
> stopper yet anyway.
>
> Just this management interface, either serial, or Ethernet that doesn't
> work. Would be nice, but I can live without. It's not to much of a
> drive, about 40 minutes at worst.
>
> But I have to say that I much prefer that box to my IBM 326e or HP 145
> G2 or G1 so far.
>
> I have nothing bad to say about it yet anyway. Minor things, that's all.

Besides the Broadcom, what other nic is on the system board?  ISTR newer
x2100's shipping with Nvidia ck8-04 Gigabit Ethernet for the primary
interface which may not be supported.

I believe all of our x2100's are running Solaris 10; I can check to see if
we have one available for testing with OpenBSD.  I know for a fact that we
have the BIOS and console writing to serial port A under Solaris 10.

-Damian