From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Berk D. Demir
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 4:49 AM
To: smith
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: NOD32 Antivirus and OpenBSD?

smith wrote:

> I second that.  Why waste server resources and decrease server security,
when
> all Windows machines should be running their own antivirus software to
begin with.

That's the difference between border defense and field defense.

Running anti-malware software on border machines, such as STMP servers,
proxies, etc. is an important countermeasure for network wide infection.

It's very much possible to have an outdated or undefended node in the
network but in border defense line, that's not the case.

You shouldn't get this as "waste of resources". Security is a process
and it's not cheap to achieve.

Field defense (node is protecting itself) and border defense are
complemental approach to so-called "self defending network" (Hello,
Cizzz-coeee)