On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 06:10:35AM -0800, Ben Calvert wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 08:24:16 -0500
> Marc Ravensbergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi, is there any way I can find out the entire list of files (and
> > dependencies) needed before installing a given package?
>
> Yes.
>
> <snip>
>
> > If this is possible, can somebody let me know?
>
> man pkg_add
>
> (hint - look for command line options )

Excuse me, but if you are so _sure_ about it would you mind sharing the
actuall options? Because IIRC it is not possible to _just_ get the
dependencies (actuall package names). At least it is not possible to get
them for another arch (even other versions).

As a work around I use this since ~3.7:
dd if=package bs=64k count=1 2>/dev/null | \
    zgrep -a '[EMAIL PROTECTED] ' | \
    awk 'BEGIN{ FS=":" } {print $3".tgz"}' | \

It is ugly, but reasonably fast and it works.

> In OpenBSD, and to a lesser extent in the other BSDs, you'll find that
> people take pride in making sure the man pages are up to date and
> extremely useful.

True, but not if there is no such functionality :)