On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 08:52:22PM +0800, Uwe Dippel wrote:
| On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 12:24:38 +0100, Igor Sobrado wrote:
|
| > I guess that remote root logins are allowed by default to simplify
| > management of small network appliances that do not have user accounts
| > on them.
|
| I have no clue on why root logins are actually disabled, but I can tell
| you one thing: if they were not, I'd be screwed !
| Why ? Because I do some remote installs / administration. Since the
| install routine does not offer user account creation, I'd be effectively
| locked out.

Although I prefer the default install to allow root to login, please
note that the install routine *does* offer user account creation.
After you're done installing, and the installscript asks you to reboot
into your new system, simply `/mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt` and you are
in your freshly installed system, with access to adduser, vipw and
many more useful tools.

You can do just about anything after the install, just remember that
your kernel is not a complete GENERIC kernel but rather the stripped
down install kernel. So you probably don't want to start running your
production services just yet (but you can configure everything you
need to run them after reboot).

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/