I am not a member of this mailing list, so I will copy and paste
the comment of Philip Guenther here:

"The 'cpio' format for pax (selected using "-x cpio") handles long file
names in a portable way, as opposed to GNU tar's non-portable
extension for handling file names longer than 100 bytes."

Agreed, GNU tar has some serious problems managing long filenames
(and not so long filenames, a short filename on a complex directory
hierarchy is all required to break it.)

I worked on a fix to gtar in 1998 (we called it "adjusting gtar to the
POSIX 1003.1 (ustar) standard).  There were very annoying problems
sharing data between PCs with Linux, our HP-UX servers and Solaris
workstations at that time.  At that time, it was only required
extracting the contents of some Solaris patches on a Linux machine
to see what this problem means.

Sadly, this patch is only applied to gtar releases when the maintainer
of this application is Frangois Pinard.  In this case, gtar is
compatible with pax(1) on most operating systems.  I am certainly
against a patch that breaks the excellent compatibility between pax(1),
cpio(1) and tar(1) on OpenBSD and these tools on other platforms.
If gtar is incompatible... well... it is the decision of the maintainers
of gtar, the patch is available.

On the other hand, this problem happens when the filenames (including
both the dirname and basename) are larger than one hundred characters.
You mention a different issue, filenames larger than 255 characters.
I am sure there is something that can be done to avoid so large filenames,
like educating Windows users to choose better filenames.

Cheers,
Igor.