* [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070109 12:43]:
> Hi All:
>
> Sorry, made a few mistakes in my original post...
>
> We're going to be using an OpenBSD 4.0 machine to collect employee
> Punch-in data and store that data in a form similar to that of a Microsoft
> Access Database file. We would then like to access that data from our
> mainframe via ODBC to retreive the records.
>
> Would you be so kind as to lend your opinion as to the best package(s) to
> install on the OpenBSD machine to provide that ODBC functionality?
>
> Thanks in advance.....
>

> Fred

Ah, this is a little different from your last post.  It's also more a
database question than an OpenBSD question.

Regardless...

What exactly is "a form similar to that of a MSoft Access Database
file"?  From memory I think an .mdb file is something a kin to ISAM.

If you truly need need concurrent atomic data access, run a real
database.  Postgresql is in the ports tree.  Teach the mainframe to
speak psql and your in business.

Also from memory, I think ODBC is an abstraction layer that rides on top
of database specific driver implementations.  I think it also is
primarily a Windows affliction.  Since only a mainframe and OpenBSD are
involved, why incur the overhead?

I stand by my first reply.  Without a better understanding of your
constraints and business drivers, I would keep it simple and periodically
ftp a text file to the mainframe for subsequent processing.

HTH,
Jim