I have OpenBSD 3.9 doing load balancing to a farm of web servers (11 web servers). In the pick hours the traffic jumps over 32Mbits and around 15,000 entries in the states table.
You can check my graph at: http://www.ilievi.net/15days.jpg
The firewall is running on:
cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class) 1 GHz
cpu0: FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,SER,MMX,FXSR,SSE
real mem  = 534290432 (521768K)
avail mem = 480735232 (469468K)

load averages:  0.92,  0.88,  0.83 13:58:18
27 processes:  26 idle, 1 on processor
CPU states: 2.2% user, 0.0% nice, 5.9% system, 12.5% interrupt, 79.4% idle
Memory: Real: 31M/99M act/tot  Free: 398M  Swap: 0K/1024M used/tot

My current limit
set limit states 30000

Alexander Lind wrote:
If I have a busy http server or cluster (by busy I mean one that gets hundreds of thousands of visitors per day), and I use an openbsd firewall, should I keep state for all incoming http connections, or should I just pass them all in without state and then pass them all out without state instead of using states?

I'm afraid the state table will get filled up.

This is on openbsd 3.9

Alec