On 2/17/07, R. Fumione <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello,

I am using OpenBSD on server since few years now, and I am very happy
with it's easy maintenance and it's stability. I want to try on
desktop, and I am having trouble.

Everything is much slower than existing Linux system. For example,
Firefox takes 3-5 seconds to start on Linux but ~10 seconds on
OpenBSD on same machine!

Hi:

 Slowdowns for large applications for Firefox and Gimp can
beaccompanied by the following warning:

Gdk-WARNING**: shmget failed: error 28 (no space left on device)

This can fixed by setting
sysctl kern.shminfo.shmseg=128
sysctl kern.shminfo.shmall=32768

In /etc/sysctl.conf

See:
Re: dillo - Gdk-ERROR ?
http://monkey.org/openbsd/archive/ports/0309/msg00164.html

Another cause of the slowdowns mayy be that /etc/login.conf class
"default" does not not allow enough files to be open at the same time.

in /etc/login.conf change:

       :openfiles-cur=64:\
       :openfiles-cur=256:\

I have used OpenBSD as a desktop for several years and the slowdowns
are not caused by a defect in the OS. In fact I use 4.0 on an ancient
Pentium I with 96 MB of ram and it's load speed is satisfactory.

--
Kind regards,
Jonathan