On 2/21/07, stuartv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
spamassassin.  Lately, we have been receiving emails with
larger and larger attachments which has been causing the
clamav to take to long scanning them and thus a time-out and
again, no more email until I get it straitened out.

So now to my question.  What software works really well for
an internal mail server?  I would like some spam protection
and I NEED Anti-virus, and I need it all to work even when
a customer sends an email with a 50M file attachment because
they sometimes do.

IMHO you're trying to find a technical solution to a bigger problem.
Consider limiting the size of attachments that go through  your email
gateway; SMTP isn't an efficient protocol for bulk file transfers, and
like you've found out your CPU and I/O-heavy filtering applications
don't work well with it. Organizations commonly limit the size to 10
MB or under; anything larger you can find an alternate (more suitable)
method for file transfer (SFTP, or FTP if not sensitive come to mind.)
For internal-only use a file server can be useful for this.

If you're pounded by spam, consider implementing spamd in front of
your mta (externally) to cut down on the volume that your content
filters have to process.

DS