On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 05:41:23AM +0000, Brad Brad wrote:
> When I connect a second drive to a sil3114 controller that drive is
> assigned wd0 and my real boot drive becomes wd1.  How can I force the drive
> I choose to be wd0? Its a soekris 4801.
>
> I assume its not a BIOs issue because it does start booting, and it should
> get nowhere if that was wrong.
>
> It gets to:
>
> dkcsum: wd1 matches BIOS drive 0x80
> root on wd1a
>
> It sits there then, I imagine because fstab is now wrong.
>
> This is when there's only one drive.
> wd0 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFB-1024>
>
> this is when there's two
> wd0 at pciide0 channel 3 drive 0: <Maxtor 7L300S0>
> wd1 at pciide1 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFB-1024>

  huh...

wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0: <SanDisk SDCFX-256>
wd1 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 1: <FUJITSU MHV2040AT>

  sounds like the soekris is saying the sil3114 is more important.

  perhaps the maxtor drive also has a valid bootable partition at
  the front and that is what you are ending up booting off of?

  i don't think you can modify attachments with config(8), but
  similar to what raidctl(8) talks about in the scsi-disk-plz-donut-renumber
  section, maybe you make a kernel in which you hardcode wd1 to be
  at pciide1 before the wd* at pciide* part?

--

  jared