* Douglas Allan Tutty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-03-21 22:37:01]:

> Hello,
>
> I've got a 486DX4-100 with 32 MB ram, ISA bus, with two drives: 840 MB
> and 1280 MB IDE.  Currently running Debian GNU/Linux Sarge.

*snip*

> Is there any reason that OpenBSD wouldn't be my best choice for this
> box?

I've run OpenBSD on a 486DX2 with 20 megs of ram.  When you're
talking about the 486es, you're going to want a FPU with openbsd.
It does not look like there is any emulation (however, I remember
seeing something in the GENERIC config a year or so back...) or
else it won't work.  The system was fine, and quite responsive for
just ssh, tip, etc.  OpenBSD is a fine choice, the biggest bottleneck
you're probably going to see is virtual memory-related stuff like
the encrypted swap, which you can turn off via the vm.swapencrypt.enable
sysctl.  You're probably not going to be swapping too darn much
unless you decide to use X, then it's going to be a bit over the
line, however, this does not mean it's not going to work. =)

--
Travers Buda