On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 21:29:52 +0200, "Marc Balmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> Diana Eichert wrote:
>
> > bcw(4) is gone
>
> Marcus Glocker, [EMAIL PROTECTED], knows a big deal about wireless
> LANs.  He has been involved in many of our wirelesss driver, he has also
> written applications for wireless applications like rtunes.  He wrote
> the nostromo webserver.  He is certainly the person who knows how to
> write original code.
>
> When it comes to bcw, a piece of hardware for that no documentation
> exists, he decided to use the docs the linux folks have.
>
> He began a rewrite of a bcw driver, inspired by the work of the linux
> folks.  His driver was not working yet, to give him a headstart, he used
> some code of the linux folks with the clear intent to replace it with
> his own.  Just to make sure this shit works.

When I read Michael Buesch's original e-mail, I figured this out. He was
probably just using it for testing purposes.
I do not call myself a programmer. I just know enough scripting to get
my job done, but even I figured this out. It doesn't take a genius.

> To ease his work, and to let others in our group to step in in his
> efforts, he committet it to our work area which we call cvs.

A CVS is not by any stretch of the imagination a public repository
of code for anyone to use. So no code was released hence no
license violation. It doesn't take a genius.

> The linux folks tooks this as the grounds to ride attacks agains Marcus,
> claiming license violations.
>
> Marcus, devoting his spare time to OpenBSD decided that this is
> kindergarten and best left to the Linux amateurs and deleted his driver
> from the OpenBSD cvs tree.
>
> Now everyone has won, the Linux people, Broadcom and the OpenBSD users.
>
> Thank you, Linux BCW developers!

<AntiLinuxRant>
Forget it. I was annoyed by the "GPL" Nazis and was going to write
a long diatribe, but what's the point. I would either be preaching to
the choir or just ignored as another one of those people who "just
don't get it".
</AntiLinuxRant>