On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:19:42 +0000 (UTC)
Tobias Weingartner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chad M Stewart wrote:
> >  On Apr 25, 2007, at 11:05 AM, Allen Theobald wrote:
> > >
> > > pass in inet proto icmp all icmp-type $icmp_types keep state
> >
> >  This can be used as a covert communication channel.  Allowing
> >  internal IPs to send/receive ping is bad.
>
> Bull.  Not allowing ICMP is just as bad.  Worse actually, as you
> are violating RFCs.  Quit spreading this FUD.

hi,

actually, me thinks the same about allowing/denying ICMP as you,
tobias. however, we recently had a CCIE/NSA certified blahblah guy in
our company, tuning our, err, Cizcoooeee equipment.

guess what he did -- he violated 'the RFCs'.

unfortunately, i wasn't able to find them on the net. do you have them
handy? i'm very curious about that :)

tia,

--
Timo Schoeler | http://riscworks.net/~tis | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
RISCworks -- Perfection is a powerful message

You can fly away to the end of the world
But where does it get you to? (Tennant/Lowe)