Hello Kintaro,

Friday, May 4, 2007, 12:03:22 PM, you wrote:

ko> I'm setting up a firewall/PF/NAT box for a company. we subscribe 2 E1's
ko> for our internet for redundancy. So basically what I want is to do load
ko> balance  this  2  E1 internet and will be also become redundancy if one
ko> isp  will  go  down.  I  read  up  in  google  and I see a syntax about
ko> round-robin.  Could  any  one  give  me an advice how to setup for load
ko> balance and redundancy?

  We've  tried  round-robin  and it just didn't work for us. Problems start
with  connection  that uses more than one port/protocol simultaneously. ftp
is  the  first  example  (and  enough  for us), but vpn could be an another
(didn't  test  it  this  way).  There is a big chance that control and data
connections will be routed to a different gateway ports (external IPs), and
servers usually don't allow it.

  Could  start  looking  for  a  work-around,  but  complicated  is usually
unreliable,  so we've ended up with dumb (but effective) solution. Based on
statistic  we  had collected before we've split traffic based on the source
IP  by  creating  several static routes.
  Redundancy is provided  by a simple script every 3 minutes sending simple
http  requests to 10 big web sites from both gateway ports (ping is easier,
but   sometimes  might  not  get  through  for  a  different  reasons)  and
deleting/adding routs depending of the result.

  I've  read  that multiple default routes are allowed in 4.1. Will do more
research about it.

ko> I've also read about OpenBGP but can't understand how it works. I can't
ko> picture out how to implement OpenBGP.

  It's  a  "true"  balancing, than routers all over the world know that you
could  be  reached  through  different  directions (ISPs). Your ISPs should
support it and you'll probably have to pay for it to both ISP.

--
Best regards,
 Boris                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]